CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Penne Rigate with Mixed Greens and Pine Nuts

This is one of my all time FAVORITE recipes. I always joke with my husband that this is what my last meal would be if I were dying. ;) I found it maybe a year or two ago online, and ever since it's been a common meal at our house. This dish is absolutely delicious and very filling, so it's meant to be a main-course meal! It's quick, easy and I promise you'll love it!


It makes approximately 6 main-course meals...
Total time: apx. 25 minutes


Ingredients: 
1 pound penne rigate
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts (apx 1 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 (8 to 10 oz) bags of mixed salad greens. (Choose any kind you would like...I usually use spinach and another kind that looks fresh while I'm shopping...pretty much everything is good with this recipe, just mix and match a few to see what you like.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (plus additional for serving.)


A lot of the ingredients can be altered. If you're making for more/less use a half box/more then 1 box/etc. For the mixed greens, it says 2 bags and I definitely recommend using more then what they call for! It adds so much to the recipe and once they get cooked, you realize how little 2 whole bags makes! Side not: With this recipe, the more pine nuts, cheese and greens the better! I always add in more then the recipe calls for...you can use as little or as much as you'd like, really...)


Instructions: 
Cook penne in boiling salted water in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot until al dente or according to package directions, then drain in a colander. While pasta is cooking, in a separate sauce pan..on moderately high heat, combine butter, oil and pine nuts, stirring often until nuts are pale golden (about 3 minutes.) Add garlic and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Stir in greens and cook, stirring, until they wilt, about 3 minutes. 


this was about 1.5 bags of greens...see what I mean about how much it wilts after the cooking? 


Add penne, salt, and pepper and mix. Stir in cheese and serve immediately with additional cheese on the side. 




I love to sprinkle some extra cheese on the top...and...




VoilĂ !

No comments:

Post a Comment